- On average, a school-age child using a disposable lunch generates 67 pounds of lunch waste per school year (18,760 pounds of lunch waste per elementary school).
- A waste-free lunch saves on average $216 per child per year (versus a disposable lunch).
- The North Pacific Garbage Patch, the largest of the five gyres, is twice the size of Texas and contains about 3.5 million tons of trash
- Packaging accounts for nearly 32 percent of all household waste in the U.S.
- Americans discard 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour.
- 40 billion plastic utensils are used every year in the U.S.
- Americans use 500 million plastic straws every day. Placed end to end, the number of disposable straws used in the U.S. in the past 4 days could reach the moon.
- About 23 billion coated paper or Styrofoam coffee cups end up in landfills every year. Placed end to end, they could circle the earth 68 times.
- Every year Americans throw away 100 billion plastic bags. The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year, that's more than 4 bags a day.
Our contributing intern, Rosanna Zywietz, studied Environmental Management in Scotland, has worked in waste management and has helped companies reduce their environmental impact. She has contributed several one-page fact sheets on the origins of waste and solutions to our staggering waste problem: America's Trash, Manufacturing and the Environment, The Waste Hierarchy.
- Confessions of a Radical Industrialist
by Ray Anderson
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
by Michael Braungart and William McDonough
- The Ecology of Commerce
by Paul Hawken
- Green Goes with Everything: Simple Steps to a Healthier Life and a Cleaner Planet
by Sloan Barnett
- It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
by Crissy Trask
- Smart by Nature: Schooling for Sustainability
by Michael K Stone
- Bag It
- Flow: For Love of Water
- The Future of Food
- King Corn
- No Impact Man: The Documentary
- The Plastic Experiment
- Boycott the Baggie
- Center for Environmental Education
- Center for Ecoliteracy
- Cool the Earth
- Environmental Defense
- Global Green
- The Green Schools Alliance
- Green Schools Initiative
- Kids Konserve Waste-Free Activities for Schools
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Plastic Pollution Coalition
- Plastic Pollution on Midway Island
- The Plastiki Expedition
- Richardson Bay Audubon Center and Sanctuary
- Sierra Club Green Home
- The Story of Stuff
- The Story of Bottled Water
- Surfrider Foundation
- Yellow Pages Print Version Opt Out
- Young Voices on Climate Change
- The Zero Waste Home
- 41 Pounds
- U.S. Green Schools Foundation